Adaptive Skating Program
This is an adaptive group skating lesson intended for, but not limited to, children on the Autism Spectrum. Aides are required for each participant.
A skating aide is someone who:
- Is 18 years of age or older.
- Can be a parent/family member/family friend/school aide.
- Has proficient skating skills and is able to support the weight of the skater if necessary.
- Assists and encourages the skater with completing instructions provided by the coach and adapts skills to challenge the individual goals of the skater if needed.
- Provides own equipment - skates, CSA approved hockey helmet, gloves.
We aim to provide a calm environment:
- Music used for fast track time only. Instructions and circuits are completed without music.
- Fewer groups on the ice. Less people and distractions.
- Smaller group sizes.
- Schedule and task completion markers provided for Canskate level groups to keep track of class activities.
Program Currently on Pause
Update August 5, 2021:
Due to ongoing Covid-19 safety concerns, the adaptive skating program will remain on pause for at least the remainder of 2021. Please check back for further updates in 2022.