ONLINE REGISTRATION ONLY. CLICK "REGISTRATION" TO RESERVE YOUR SPOT!
Adaptive Skating Program
This is an adaptive group skating class intended for, but not limited to, children on the Autism Spectrum. Aides are required for each participant.
A skating "aide" meets the following criterea:
- Is 18 years of age or older.
- Can be a parent/family member/family friend/school aide.
- Has proficient skating skills and is able to support the weight of the skater if necessary.
- Assists and encourages the skater with completing instructions provided by the coach and adapts skills to challenge the individual goals of the skater if needed.
- Provides own equipment - skates, CSA approved hockey helmet, gloves.
- Registers as an aide for the class with Skate Canada.
If your family is not able provide a skating aide, a volunteer may be available. This must be arranged well in advance of the class by emailing email@example.com as there are only a limited number of volunteers.
Please note: if your skating aide is not available for a class due to illness, etc. and a suitable replacement cannot be found in time, your skater may not be able to participate in the lesson that day.
We aim to provide a calm environment:
- Music used for fast track time only. Instructions and circuits are completed without music.
- Dimmer lights in arena.
- Fewer groups on the ice. Less people and distractions.
- Smaller group sizes.
- Schedule and task completion markers provided for Canskate level groups to keep track of class activities.
- Participants and aides must bring their own equipment to each class.
- Hockey or Figure Skates with sharpened blades and good ankle support. Laces all the way up the boot required.
- Hockey Helmet-CSA approved. Try this on at home ahead of class time as some children don't enjoy how they feel on their head and refuse to wear them when they get to class. Skaters will not be allowed on the ice with out the listed equipment.
- Winter gloves
- Jacket and athletic clothing that is easy to move around in.
(NO recreational skates, NO adjustable skates please-they come in attractive colors, but are difficult to skate in and the coach will request that you exchange them.)
Winter class dates for 10 weeks
Sundays 3:00-3:45 PM
Londonderry Arena, 14528-66 Street
January 15, 22, 29, February 5, 12, 26, March 5, 12, 19, 26, 2023
(No class Sunday Feb 19 for Family Day weekend.)
$44.00 Annual Skate Canada Membership Required (Valid September thru August) + Class Fees.
Please contact the club if your child would like to try the typical group skating lessons we currently offer. Aides may be available if required - must schedule in advance. Note that music plays during the entire lesson and there are several groups on the ice at the same time.